11.30.2006

Still need to get banner fixed...but no time. same old. same old. swear I age a year, physically, every time finals come around. Will get to to-do list later.

Lots going on in Oaxaca. Disturbing things going on in Oaxaca. Well, I guess that's really been the norm for the last 6 months. But I'm talking about something different: the events of the last two days. I'm concerned...Radio Universidad was turned over, Cinco Senores was cleared w/o resistance...what does this mean? Has the movement given up? I don't know. Seems they've played all their cards. Given up the two things that were their "currency." I hope this has not been for nothing. Too many people affected, negatively, for nothing to end up being accomplished. I haven't taken sides...I think APPO could have done a lot better of a job getting organized to be effective. Yet, I support, wholeheartedly, their ideals of social/economic change for Oaxaca. I really don't think, as a gringa, that I have the ability to completely understand. I haven't lived through all the events that have formed the mindset of the people, the distrust and knowledge of corruption that has been handed down generationally. It would be ridiculous for me to assume I can sit here and say that I'm an expert, that my opinion is correct. Yet, I analyze and question and form/re-form my opinions constantly. I want to understand. I want to learn. I want to learn and share the story. I want the people I share the stories with to care. At same time, I can't disregard the sentiments of my local friends there...this movement has destroyed their lives. They've lost their jobs. Their sense of safety. Their livelihoods. Their friends. And not just them...countless people. I think the media has not given a voice to the people stuck in the middle, at all. However, as much as I've given thoughts to strategy, and wished for a BETTER strategy and sometimes been upset at the actions of the movement, not upset, but more like....do this better!, I now find myself worrying that the movement is over. Strange how I'm now mourning something I haven't always loved. Is it? The end? Was it all for nothing? I can't stop thinking about this. Obsessing really. Tell me this has made some sort of change. That the goal of change has not been abandoned. I really don't think that APPO has been the most effective. I don't. I know it's not politically correct to say this...but I think they hurt themselves with emerging egos, with lack of leadership. Again, at same time, I'm so PROUD OF, IN AWE, HUMBLED and MOVED by the ability of the people, of the sacrifices of the people. All these people came together and came up with some great stuff. Communiques, marches, awareness. I'm confused. Conflicted. Can't you tell?! I'm happy some normalcy has returned. I'm unhappy this normalcy might signal defeat. I'm unhappy with some of the ways this movement has been approached and executed. I'm happy that so many people operated and formed a grassroots approach to address the horrible conditions of this city, state. It's hard to articulate, really. I've been fortunate to witness events personally. I've been fortunate that I've been able, through my own eyes and the eyes of loved ones in Oaxaca, to get different perspectives. To see, hear and learn of the passion for and dislike of this movement. But, I guess, just like many of the people of Oaxaca, I'm conflicted. I wanted normalcy for my loved ones. I just hoped it came through a change. Through a win. I'm not giving up. I know Oaxaca will see these changes. It has to. That's just what I'm going to believe. I hope that the PFP, Ruiz, and the others who used aggression and violence instead of constructive dialogue and humility, see the error of their ways. My fear, if this movement has been defeated, is that they will become more aggressive. But I'm not giving up. The right formula will be found. I have faith that there is still a strategy being developed, by APPO maybe, by another group, who knows, that will make this change happen. Oaxaca needs it. The indigenous need it. Oaxaca is a gem and it's treated like dirt by the govt. of Mexico. This has to be stopped. And I hope the rest of the world has taken notice. This struggle will conquer!

Before you say....Oh. Who cares? People in Oaxaca are just making a big deal out of nothing. They deserve everything the govt.'s given them. Consider this: Do you have to worry about your loved ones disappearing? Or being beaten/shot/snatched in/off the street for no reason? Are there procedures in place that allow you to get a fair trial in court? Do you get access to lawyers if you get arrested? Do you work your ass off and make a livable wage? Do you have to worry about your land being stolen? Does your child's school have an actual floor? Or walls? The list could go on and on and get more devastating and violating. If you can say these things are not a concern, yóu're lucky. You must not live in Oaxaca. Or Mexico for that matter. You've got it pretty easy. This movement, ambitious and imperfect simulaneously, is something we all should be paying attention to. They are us. We are them.

No comments: