11.05.2006

Barbed-Wire Barricades

not much time to blog. gotta meet Jack and Alder for breakfast at some mexican traveller's hotel that serves 30 types of waffles. one type is coconut and lime. YUK! I hate waffles.

anyway, very stressed today. Megamarch is scheduled. Thousands of people from other villages and cities have bussed in to participate. Lots of marches have happened over last 5 months, but only about 4 megamarches. When they say megamarch here, they mean a march that for the end to pass the same point as the front, it takes about 3 hours. Today will be the biggest yet. I'm very concerned. In preparation, the military flew in many more troops last night and the PFP have erected gigantic barricades of barbed-wire around the city to prevent entrance into the center by the marchers. I have a very, very bad feeling about this. Keep Oaxaquenos in your minds. Today is not going to be a good day, I don't think.

Have done lots of cool stuff here: sushi nite, dia de los muertos, chatting with locals, a mexican birthday party last night. I hope to blog about those and post pics, but since the American media doesn't tell about the horrors going on here, I hope that when I put it here I'm getting word out.

No comments: