11.02.2006

Attack on Benito Juarez University

I had planned to write a long post today describing the peacefulness that has returned to Oaxaca. To tell of the festive feel that had returned to the community. And to talk more about the Dia de Los Muertos celebrations here in Oaxaca and Cojo. But the festivity was short-lived. Yesterday, during the Dia de Los Muertos holiday, shops opened, people were out on the streets and traffic was in abundant. Alder, Ryan, Tamara and I went to the Panteon Cemetery, a couple of bars, and danced until 3am. It was fantastic and the community was out celebrating the good cheer. I even got the DJ to play some Arabic dance music! I spent much of the time teaching some local guy named Noe how to dance to it. And he taught me some salsa moves. But like I said, the cheer was short-lived. The chaos has returned. Today, I awoke (quite late) to the sounds of helicopters over head again. The windows in my room were shaking. I went out to Cafe Los Cuiles to get some much-needed coffee (estaba muy cruda) and along the way, passing the new encampments at Santo Domingo, people were huddled around radios. I could hear the desperate pleas coming from the radio. "Send people. Send ambulances. Many are hurt. Several are dead. Come defend the university!" The announcer had pure terror in his voice. At Cafe Los Cuiles, I ran to the tv. The PFP was storming Universidad de Benito Juarez. They were shooting on the ground and from helicopters. They were tear-gassing the neighborhood, and in fact teargassed the cemetery that some of my pictures show that we went to last night. Protestors fought back, shooting rocket launchers, setting fires. Several burning busses caught houses on fire. At least 40 people were seriously injured and reports say some were killed. TV news showed reports of people running from their houses to get away from the tear gas. Not caring that families, little children, were inside the Panteon cemetery, the PFP teargassed the cemetery...I guess they assumed protesters were hiding inside. It was a horrible event. The PFP sought out the universidad because APPO has control of the radio station there. News reports say that the protestors were able to prevent the police from taking it over. Other news reports say that the police did take it over. It's so hard to know what's going on. It's not like you can go there and see for yourself. It's dangerous. And you could be arrested. Non-Mexican citizens are strictly forbidden to participate in anything like this. Just being nearby, you could be mistaken for participating, and be arrested. News is so scattered and so many rumors constantly exist, I really have no idea what is happening. What I do know is that the city is closed up again, and new barricades have gone up all over. Sitting here in the courtyard, I can hear the cheering from Santo Domingo. I imagine protestors have regathered there for the evening. It is their new assembly site. Today's attack on the community was worse than Sunday's, and I have no idea what to expect tomorrow. I met with Professor Jack today to discuss my internship. He gave me some great ideas and tomorrow Alder, Ryan, and some of their friends and I are meeting at Pochote, the organic market, then heading over to the migration agency. At this point, it's 50/50 whether any staff will be there, given the events of today. Discussions really require face to face meetings. These topics, like strategic planning, politics, internships....they don't occur over email. So it's not likely I will meet those goals for this trip. Time is running out. I hope that tomorrow is fruitful. I hope that tomorrow does not bring more violence. When I get a chance, I will post pics of how protestors have incorporated their messages into the Dia de Los Muertos artwork. Ciao!

No comments: