10.24.2006

APPO: Work Stoppage

Today APPO(La Asemblea de Popular del Pueblo de Oaxaca)called for the resignation of Governor Ruiz within 72 hours. In addition, there has been an announced work stoppage for Friday, the 27th. Usually, work stoppages cover everything from stores to taxis to hotels. APPO would like this to be international, as a sign of solidarity, but whether others join remains to be seen. I arrive on the afternoon of the 28th. My understanding is that the airport will be remain operational. But, getting a taxi or shuttle to the hotel will likely not occur if the stoppage happens. This is really unknown. I'll find out when I arrive. During the last work stoppage, some businesses did not participate....mainly, they told reporters, because they have already lost so much money due to the downturn in tourism since the popular struggle began. This, in my mind, is a hard one. It's a double-edged sword, I guess. Is it fair to ask people to continue to lose money for this struggle to continue? Are people getting hurt by this struggle? Is it worth the sacrifice, in order to achieve hopeful future prosperity? These questions are what Oaxaquenos are struggling with. They want a better future, but in the here and now, they are barely able to support their families. Many state this is why they are splintering off from the popular struggle. Mind you, this is what I gleam from non-mainstream news sites, local Oaxaquenos' blogs, and from my friends that live in Oaxaca. I hope that while I'm there I can learn even more the people's thoughts on this struggle. That's the news for today. Buenos noches!

No comments: